Re: Cruise Ship Pier

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.142.33 (dsl-189-179-142-33.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 20 de febrero, 2009 a las 12:11:15 horas :

En respuesta a: Cruise Ship Pier escrito por linda fox desde 189.147.31.13 (dsl-189-147-31-13.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 20 de febrero, 2009 a las 10:42:48 horas :

I reported on this over a month ago. Believe me, this is not so much Alejandro as it is influyentes looking for personal gain. All politicians have favors to repay, and this one is no different. Haven't you noticed that more and more politicians seem to be involved in the construction business? They keep themselves rich by awarding their family businesses government contracts. THAT is what this is all about.

If Alejandro pushes this project he may soon find himself losing the support of his tía y tío and other family members from here to Petatlán, because I know that we will vehemently oppose ANY pier, especially at Barra de Potosí or anywhere along Playa Larga/Playa Blanca.

As I have always said, THERE IS NO DEMONSTRABLE NEED for a cruise ship pier in our region. Our community benefits very little from their visits, and we would need hundreds of cruise ships a year to see a minimal increase in economic benefit. Even the cruise ship industry recognizes that there is declining interest in cruises along this part of the Mexican coastline and they have adjusted their fleets accordingly sending them to where interest is increasing, such as the Caribbean. But some tour providers, such as Mario Hernandez, the PAN mayoral candidate in the last election who only received something like a dozen votes (a pretty sound rejection), keep pushing this thing so they can sell more bus tours. I don't know of any true locals who support this.

So we may be in for another heavy battle, which I don't look forward to but I certainly won't shy away from. If they want an Atenco style protest they'll get one. That should surely make a few international headlines.

This project is a FARCE for greedy interests and nothing more. It has nothing to do with community well-being, sustainable development, or promoting the area as a tourist destination.

I hope we can count on your support.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO