Re: Cruise Ship Pier

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.142.33 (dsl-189-179-142-33.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 21 de febrero, 2009 a las 11:17:25 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Cruise Ship Pier escrito por Laura desde 66.82.162.12 (dpc6682162012.direcpc.com) el día sábado, 21 de febrero, 2009 a las 03:28:15 horas :

I wouldn't worry, Laura. You know I won't let this happen to La Barra. If they absolutely MUST have a stupid pier so that everyone's construction business makes money and pays kickbacks then they will have to build it in Ixtapa.

But the stupid arguments they make for why they want a pier show they are blowing smoke out their butts and haven't a friggin' clue what they're talking about. The most important FACTS are:

1) There is NO demonstrable need for a pier. Less and less people are interested in 7-day cruises, especially along this coast of Mexico. Cruise ship companies have already diverted their ships to other areas where demand is on the rise.

2) Whenever there is a cruise ship in town most merchants experience a notable DROP in sales since the cruise ship people do NOT spend money on anything more than trinkets, and our hotel-based tourists avoid the downtown area whenever a cruise ship is in town. So we can actually demonstrate that they are BAD for business.

3) They drive away more tourists than they attract. Not only do visitors avoid downtown when cruise ships are in port, but many do not want to be here at all when these ships are blocking what's left of the beautiful views of our bay. They degrade the experience of our guests at our local lodgings.

They want to spend 950 million pesos on this unnecessary pier, 450 million on a park few people will visit in El Hujal, but only about 350 million cleaning up the bay. What is wrong with this picture?

I'm hopeful that reason will prevail.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO