Anson's anchor

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.110.178.5 (dsl-201-110-178-5-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 13 de marzo, 2009 a las 14:59:12 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Sir Francis Drake escrito por lorenzo marbut desde 189.179.146.125 (dsl-189-179-146-125-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 13 de marzo, 2009 a las 12:39:54 horas :

It is widely believed locally that Sir Francis Drake did indeed spend some time here using Los Morros de Potosí as cover for attacking passing Spanish Galleons.

According to local history, Admiral George Anson and his crew fell in love with Zihuatanejo and made it their home. They are attributed with planting the first local coconut groves. They allegedly refused the British Admiralty's recall order and burned their ships after salvaging everything on them. The anchor that used to sit at "Oliverio's" (dive shop and bachelor pad) at Playa Las Gatas for years (not sure where it is now) is allegedly from one of those ships. I believe Verboonen is one of the crew's last names that survives locally to this day.

A reader sent me this photo last year, and I believe it was taken during the mid-1970's. Not sure who the beauty is.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO