Gypsies in the Palace

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.139.135 (dsl-189-179-139-135-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 27 de marzo, 2009 a las 16:42:29 horas :

En respuesta a: Cuban Unravel escrito por KR desde 189.177.0.18 (dsl-189-177-0-18-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 27 de marzo, 2009 a las 16:18:18 horas :

I think you are right on in your observations. It's the one-on-one dealings between tourists and the people there that put a little money in their pockets and help them get by. That's one reason why I'm glad to recommend Cuba. I see it as helping the people more than helping the government that is obviously in its last throes. And more outside contact can only help change come about.

But a few days in the relative luxury of the Seville was just what The Doctor ordered. We loved the daily musicians in the lounge, and just hanging around the lobby people watching. The food was decent there, too, though odd things were notably absent from the breakfast buffet such as a variety of fresh fruits and juices, though I suspect a lot of the good stuff went out the Back Door to families and clients of the workers. It was odd to see fried chicken available for breakfast at the Hotel Riviera our first morning, though I learned it was because after a certain hour "leftovers" could be taken by the workers. So the whole "leftovers" thing was obviously a carefully coordinated affair, and I imagine it happens at all the hotels and restaurants.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO