PART THREE- Shopping and Other

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Maggie and Don desde 63.240.122.161 (063240122161.casecorp.com) el día miércoles, 28 de febrero, 2007 a las 12:59:21 horas :

En respuesta a: PART TWO- Restaurants and Food! escrito por Maggie and Don desde 63.240.122.161 (063240122161.casecorp.com) el día miércoles, 28 de febrero, 2007 a las 12:57:27 horas :

SHOPPING

Both the artisans markets in Ixtapa and Zihua were good, more of the same stuff really at both of them. We don't buy much anymore when we go to Mexico, but I bought a nice hammered silver necklace at a store in Z, and my friends found some nice things. Once you really start exploring back a few streets you find some hidden gems and streets in Zihua.

ACTIVITIES

We were going to go diving but heard visibility was so-so so didn't bother.
Snorkeled at Las Gatas and Playa Coral on the island, found Las Gatas to be better this trip. If you head around the rock reef where the boats come in and snorkel the outside of the reef it's much better. Friends saw a couple of eels even.
I never wear fins though and I wish I had, it is really shallow in spots and coming in and out is rocky. Saw many novices standing on the coral, and it's in pretty rough shape unfortunately. Hubby spotted a navel ring for me and dove down to get it- my hero. :)

We met some people who also went to Playa Manzanillo to snorkel, they said it was pretty but the snorkeling only marginally better, so we never went. We are a bit picky as we are used to snorkeling in the Mayan Riviera.

Walked to La Ropa one day, nice. Saw the new Club Intrawest, last trip they had just started building it- how beautiful is that place!

Went to Barra di Potosi one day, took the bus from Calle Palmas and then out to Los Achotes, took the van from there (they also have the open air trucks). It was an okay day trip, nice and relaxing, but not as scenic or funky as I had been expecting somehow after reading people gushing about it. The water was very stirred up and full of sand so swimming wasn't the best either.

I think I was expecting more of a place like Playa Bocana down by Huatulco- which also has a lagoon running into the ocean, but is much more beautiful. Sorry!

We did walk about 2-3 miles down the beach, and ran into a couple doing the same, who asked if we wanted to see their house. Um, sure!
What a small world- turned out they are from Alberta (we are from Saskatchewan). They have a beautiful place, in the process of building a big house with 2 units and they already have 2 two room bungalows, and a great pool and kitchen building. Paradise or what. We had a beer with them and they showed us around. It would be nice to spend a few days there for utter relaxation.

All in all, a great, great, GREAT trip. It seemed longer than 2 weeks, likely because we changed hotels and locat1ons halfway through.

One week in each place was truly the best of both worlds, the only thing we would do different next time is book the more luxurious hotel for the second week instead!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO