¡GUAU!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.56.159 (dsl-189-147-56-159.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 19 de marzo, 2007 a las 14:54:35 horas :

The closing event for the Festival Internacional de la Guitarra de Zihuatanejo was really a blast last night! There was a large turnout of locals and a lot of visitors at La Cancha Municipal (el zócalo) for the show which lasted from about 8:30 until almost 11:00. A lot of my photos didn't turn out as well as I hoped, and I didn't even get all the artists or remember who they were (they were all very good, some quite excellent), but the last two guitarrists sure got everyone's attention just when it looked like people were starting to filter away. When each of these guys came on, people who were on their way stopped dead in their tracks and turned around and paid attention.

The penultimate guitarrist was Chris Dunnett. I didn't catch the names of all his tunes, but his version of Maleguena (sic) was a marvel to watch him perform. It turns out Chris has a pretty nifty gizmo that he operates with his foot that he uses to record a few riffs and then use what he records as accompaniment, so that he is playing along with himself. It got real interesting when he mixed two riffs and played along with them both. Mind you he is doing all this live without missing a lick. Todo estaba fríamente calculado. ;~)

Chris Dunnett at the closing of the 2007 Festival Internacional de la Guitarra de Zihuatanejo
Chris Dunnett at the closing of the Festival Internacional de la Guitarra de Zihuatanejo 2007

As impressive as Chris was, the best was yet to come...

Nick Vigarino was the master blaster of the evening, first on his acoustic then on his electric, playing his explosive and full-sounding slide-style of R&B/Rock'n'Roll. The man put on a masterful display of talent and technique, reminiscent of other masters such as Hendrix and Santana, though with a style all his own.

Nick Vigarino at the closing of the Festival Internacional de la Guitarra de Zihuatanejo 2007
Nick Vigarino at the closing of the Festival Internacional de la Guitarra de Zihuatanejo 2007

I'll be especially keeping an eye out for these two guys for future Festivals. Thanks to all the organizers and participants for making this possible for all us humble zihuatanejenses! Good job, guys! The forty-thousand pesos for the Casa de Cultura wasn't bad either!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO