Trip Report-Day 1

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Sharon MN desde 64.12.116.9 (cache-mtc-aa05.proxy.aol.com) el día sábado, 31 de marzo, 2007 a las 18:56:52 horas :

Hello,
My daughter Anne and I arrived on her birthday, March 22nd for a week stay. We found a nonstop flight for $200 from Minneapolis on Sun Country and could not pass it up. It was our second visit.
Last year we rented a condo in Ixtapa but found that we spent all of our time in Zihua so this time we stayed in Zihua. We were on a limited budget so I booked at Sotavento through Expedia for $70 a night including breakfast. Our room was rustic and plain but the grounds and locat1on were beautiful overlooking La Ropa beach and we spent very little time in our room.
Our breakfasts were wonderful with fresh squeezed orange juice, a mixed fruit plate, your choice of eggs, hot cakes, french toast, meats, bolillos and jam along with coffee or tea. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The Sotavento has seen better days but it is still a viable lower priced option for budget vacationers.
We arrived at 9:30 am and were on the beach by 10:30. They allowed early check in, thanks to our maid, Dani, who quickly cleaned our room and made us feel most welcome. All the staff were especially friendly, caring and helpful throughout our stay. Dani made us a new decoration with flowers and towels each day. It was a fun surprise to see what she would create. We would recommend the Sotavento and would go back again, and hope that it is not demolished for an upscale expensive alternative. One caution for anyone with knee problems or troubles walking are the multitude of stairs. We did use the shuttle service from the beach area to the highway many times.
We had lunch at Paty's Mar y Mar-enchiladas de pollo, guacamole and mahi mahi. It was very good and felt wonderful to kick off our shoes and have our feet in the sand. Afterward we went swimming and then each had a massage. At night, since it was Anne's birthday we decided to splurge for a special dinner and went to Villa de la Selva in Ixtapa. The setting was gorgeous. We were seated next to the garden foliage facing the sunset, listening to Julio Iglesias music, enjoying the wonderful food and drinks. We had jicama rolls for an appetizer which were delicious and contained crab, avocado, cream cheese and other veggies. I had surf and turf(shrimp brochette and filet mignon) and Anne had fish fillet. Afterward we shared a molten chocolate cake and cappuccinos for dessert. The wait staff (three for our table) were very attentive and professional. It was a delightful meal, exquisite ambiance and a highly recommended experience for a splurge meal.
We went into Ixtapa afterward and walked around and listened to Kenny Kenny sing and then took a taxi home to end our very full first day.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO