Re: Interesting article

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.10.35 (dsl-189-147-10-35.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 06 de agosto, 2007 a las 17:26:27 horas :

En respuesta a: Interesting article escrito por Anita C. desde 4.130.64.239 (dialup-4.130.64.239.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net) el día lunes, 06 de agosto, 2007 a las 13:55:15 horas :

I agree. Very interesting and enlightening. I liked the expression acapulcoismo since it's an analogy I and others here have used for many years to describe what we would hope not to see repeated here, yet unfortunately over the past 15 years, especially the past 5, it is exactly what we have seen happening here. Squatters used to trade land for votes, extremely poor and inadequate city planning (if any), taxpayers money squandered on "populist" and unnecessary projects while ignoring the needs of those who actually pay taxes, overdevelopment, polluted bays and beaches that pose a health risk yet visitors receive no official warnings, etc. We even have a submerged religious statue in our bay although no one visits it and ours was paid for (including an all-expenses paid vacation for the mayor, his family and his pals to the Vatican) with public funds apparently in flagrant violation of our constitution's law regarding separation of church and state.

At the meeting with the mayor the other day the councilperson in charge of local tourism asked me how I would solve our squatter problem (since it is a major factor in our pollution problem), and I told him by removing all invaders of our ecological zones to outlying communities such as Coacoyul, El Aeropuerto, Barrio Viejo, Barrio Nuevo, and Posquelite where they wouldn't have to live on precarious hillsides and where it wouldn't cost so much to provide services. That way we would also save the bay as well as the taxpayers' money. I also suggested that electoral laws should be reformed to require voters to have a legal address in order to remove the problem of unscrupulous politicians trading land for votes, which caused our local squatter problem in the first place. And last I suggested that public servants should be tried and punished for omission of duties such as by not upholding laws that would have prevented the squatters from remaining on lands they were in essence stealing from the law-abiding taxpayers of Zihuatanejo. The public servant appeared not to care much for my last suggestion. Guilty conscience perhaps?

But I think my proposals would alleviate the pollution problem significantly, deter future squatters as well as the public servants who use them, save the taxpayers money, and contribute to the general well-being of Zihuatanejo's residents as well as its visitors (thus making it more attractive to potential investors).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;~)

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO