Re: sotavento resort

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Steve desde 71.215.84.144 (71-215-84-144.hlrn.qwest.net) el día martes, 14 de agosto, 2007 a las 10:58:27 horas :

En respuesta a: sotavento resort escrito por medic2051 desde 74.9.82.146 (?) el día lunes, 13 de agosto, 2007 a las 20:59:36 horas :

I stay at Sotavento 2/3 times/year and obviously love it, but it's not for everyone. It is traditional Mexico, old but clean, beautiful old Mexico-style rooms (what else, you're in Mexico!) with gorgeous wood and most rooms are big and have large, private terraces. The bathrooms are dated but unless you're fussy about these kinds of things it will be no problem for you. If you like American-style luxury this is NOT for you. No tvs, ac but in December the ocean breezes will blow right into your screened room, lots of cross ventilation and ceiling fan in each room. You can get all the safe, cold bottled water you need at the main desk. Be aware that there are 200 stairs from the top floor(8th) to the beach but you should be able to handle it unless you have physical limitations(there's now a golf cart from the lobby). The value for your money is the best on La Ropa and the setting and beach are absolutely magnificent. The hotel is in a palm tree grove built into the side of the cliff and the views will blow you away, believe me. Call and ask for a refrigerator--they may be able to accommodate you especially with your family. I've stayed on every floor except the 4th but you will not be displeased with the view (the best panoramic views are on 5-8). The 4th is very garden-like. The breakfasts are great but a little pricey, about $8 and can be added to your room rate(check with the hotel to see if it's already included)--you pay for convenience. Lunches not bad, but the dinners are not that good however the dining room has stunning views especially at night. Z and Sotavento are a perfect family vacation, very safe and little night-life and no rowdiness or drunks and few bars, everything is pretty much closed down by 11:00. The staff is very friendly. You can do better on food by going out down the beach or downtown. My favorite breakfast place is La Casa Cafe on Calle Adelita within walking distance or cheap cab ride where you can get lots of tourist info/friendly conversation and a fabulous breakfast for $5. For your info they are supposedly renovating the 6-8 floors at Sotavento jazzing it up with tvs, ac and probably bathroom renovations which, of course, will drive the price up. They plan to be done by tourist season but don't count on it---there may be some noise involved although I've been there during some construction work and it's never bothered me and is only during the day when you're not in your room anyway. Call them to check on this, they speak English, so you're not disappointed---ask for Miguel or Javier who are very helpful. If you are in the US call toll-free at 1-877-699-6685. Also, ask to be picked up at the airport (you have to ask for everything!) which will save you $30. I plan to be there in early Dec and can let you know the latest after I return and answer any of your questions at anytime. Just ask for my email on the message board.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO