Broken record-Trip report

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Lady M in Zihua desde 189.147.11.91 (dsl-189-147-11-91.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 01 de octubre, 2007 a las 10:04:12 horas :

In hopes of not sounding like a broken record I still must report 80 degrees and a beautiful sunny day.

Today is October 1st and a very special day indeed. Julian Bustos, my godson, is 6 years old today. I am picking him up from school and we are going to buy things for a birthday dinner at my house. He is leaning towards hamburgers so that is probably what will be happening.

As far as the trip to the mountains yesterday. I was up and out of the house by 7:00 AM. Like most things that happen here I had to wait down on the street for about 30 minutes for Santiago and family (Maui, Diego, Fanny and Maui's Mother) to arrive. During that time it changed from dark to light and the sun came shining through. We had to stop at the market for some staples like bolillos stuffed with several different kinds of meats. That was to do us until we arrived at El Peru.

El Peru is smaller than a village by any standards but a farm it is for sure. That is where friends and family of Santiago's Mother-in-law live. Orbe and Beronica as well as their 4 kids, Kevin 8, Migues 6, Orbeli 3, and Beronica the baby, were up and getting ready to go to Palos Blanco when we arrived. Plans changed.

On the farm I was able to take lots of pictures and see lots of animals. There were bulls, cows, pigs, (as well as about 12 piglets) goats, (one with a pair of twins) ducks, chickens, roosters, three different kinds of birds, dogs, and cats. While there I fed the cows, pigs, and goats, milked a cow, petted two baby goats, little pigs and a cat.

Maui and I walked up the road, through a little stream to an aunt's house and she walked with us up to a spring where we found some lovely plants to bring home. They had cemented some places in the stream area so they could get fresh water from a spring there without having to worry about sand or leaves being in the dipping area.

They also grow corn, guayabas, bananas, papayas and have a little creek, spring, and river on their property. I believe they own about 100 hectares. I went along in the back of the truck to the corn field where they picked two huge bags of corn. The kids and I picked and ate some small ears of corn that were sweet and tender. (Sort of like those small ears of corn that we have sometimes in salads) Orbe said in 20 days those would mature into ears of corn. On the way back to the house we spotted a large bird nest hanging in one of the trees over the road. The birds were long gone from the nest and I wanted one for a decorative for my house so Orbe stopped and with the assistance of several long sticks he threw them at the nest till he finally got it down from the tree unharmed. When we got home we all shucked the ears of corn. Beronica ran the kernals through her corn crusher machine and she made fresh tamales.

As soon as these were cooked we took the pan of tamales and cooked ears of corn and all of the things we had taken and headed for a river about three miles from the farm. Along the way we picked up Orbe's Mother, two cousins and their children. Then we stopped at a little local store (the only one in the village of La Cienega) and bought cream for the tamales and several other crucial junk food items. (soda, cheetos, pinguinos, and some ritz crackers) Maui and I had bought bananas and fresh cheese from the market in Zihua.

The road we had to take to the river was less maintained than normal due to the heavy rains they have had in that area of the mountains. We had to leave the road at one point to make a slight detour through a field as the road was too bad to travel.

The river was running fast due to the rain higher up in the mountain area. That did not keep any of us from getting in the water and cooling off. But before any of the water activities took place we were all shouting tamales, tamales. None of us wanted the tamales to get cold before we got to eat them. I must say those were probably the best sweet tamales that I have ever had anywhere. Beronica definitely knows her stuff when it comes to fresh tamales.

We stayed at the river for about three hours before loading back up and heading back to the farm. Fully stuffed and tired from the time in the water we all said our goodbyes. I was invited to return when I am in Zihua the next time and to bring my husband to spend a day at the farm. Buses do run to the area so I think that might just be in my plans for sometime in January.

Diego and Fanny slept on the way home. The rest of us discussed the day and plans for another outing in the future. It took us about an hour and a half to get home. They dropped me off at the bridge in La Noria as that is easier for them going home and it is less than a big block for me to get home. As I came over the bridge the kids from our house spotted me coming (they were on the open air 4th floor of the house) and were yelling for me to hurry. Valeria, Julian, and Emiliano were up on the roof and had been studying and playing while Osiria did laundry. When I got there they wanted me to get buckets of water and play on the roof with them. Water fights are fun and all the plants got a drink also. Was good to be home.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO