Re: Why Some Support the Pier

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Lady M in Zihua desde 189.147.11.91 (dsl-189-147-11-91.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día domingo, 07 de octubre, 2007 a las 09:36:54 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Why Some Support the Pier escrito por Craig Scheiner desde 76.103.200.224 (c-76-103-200-224.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) el día domingo, 07 de octubre, 2007 a las 00:57:50 horas :

Since we have both been in business we know we do not listen much when someone suggests we change our businesses and especially when that involves lots of money to change.

These same Native folks selling in the market have been selling these same trinket kind of things for the last 34 years. The only difference that I can tell is they have more of the same old stuff. Funny how that is. I know some of them personally and suggestions as what to sell fall on deaf ears.

There have been some different more up scale stores opened in the last couple of years and they have all folded as they can not make a go of it in Zihua. The lady who rented below us had some wonderful products but they only stayed open a year. Not enough business from tourists and cruise ship people and too expensive for many locals. (That is a block from the pier.)

Several new stores in a little mall like setting a half block from here. Half have already closed up. Same kind of reason. There is not enough money coming in off cruise ships to make successful these kind of places. We are not PV and not Acapulco. The cruise ships stop at Acapulco before getting here and the cruise ship people have already spent their money by the time they get here. I have talked to lots of them getting off the ships and walking around and I hear the same thing many times. "Oh! I wish I would have waited and bought here". Same kind of thing I would hear when people came into my little gift shop in Alaska. "Why did I not wait till I got here to get my gifts. We just love your shop". Not why I got out of business but that is just the same kind of thing the small person faces here.

Lupita has a nice little place with nice clothing, but her things are not for everyone. The place around the corner from her that has just opened looks wonderful. A nicer gift line but will not be for all. It is hard here in Zihua and everywhere to make it in gift retail and depending just on tourists and cruise folks never guarantees success.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO