Re: Why Some Support the Pier

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Atlanta Dave desde 170.140.231.29 (dhcp-231-29.whitehead.emory.edu) el día lunes, 08 de octubre, 2007 a las 15:44:22 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Why Some Support the Pier escrito por Lady M in Zihua desde 189.147.11.91 (dsl-189-147-11-91.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día domingo, 07 de octubre, 2007 a las 16:16:31 horas :

This figure is widely quoted in various studies. A big part of that includes local tours (not just trinkets or local goods), but of this, a high % of tour $$ goes back to the ship and not the land-based contractor. Not only that, most of the studies that collect these statistics were done by the cruise ship operators themselves, who spin things to look as if they're doing the comunity a favor....Mark Twain said there are "Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics". Does this number apply to every port, or just the "best one"? How much went back to the ship? Do some businesses pay a kickback to the ship for advertising? How was the survey worded? If someone wants to spend a few hours collecting real statistic for Zihua, just get a group and stand on the pier and collect your own info as the cruisers return to ship. I'll help next time I'm in town. I'll bet you a bottle of tequila the number is closer to $30, not even subtracting the $$ that flow back to the ship.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO