I'm not the world's greatest writer, BUT...

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Derek in Calgary desde 24.71.223.140 (px1so.cg.shawcable.net) el día sábado, 03 de noviembre, 2007 a las 01:30:20 horas :

En respuesta a: Ahora es el director de turismo escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.43.240 (dsl-189-147-43-240.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 26 de octubre, 2007 a las 23:03:57 horas :

Dear Sir:

After reading of your allegations on a recent local radio program that Robert Whitehead's web site and message board are scaring away tourists, I felt complled to write. Since deciding to spend a week in Ixtapa and a week in Zihuatanejo, I have been on the Internet researching as many sources as I can find. Since Rob's site is packed with so much useful information, many other large web sites have links to it. Also, many trip reports I've seen from returning visiturs refer to it and the message board it contains as their favourite source of information on the region. A quick search reveals that people use the message to ask questions about Zihuatanejo and its surrounding region. If you have a question that isn't answered in his archives, Rob or one of the many frequent visitors to the board will readily and usually quickly answer any questions you may have.

Robert opposes the pier for Cruise Ships, and frankly I agree with him. The citizens of Zihuatanejo have struggled for many years to remain the fishing village of its heritage. This love of Mexican tradition is what brings some of us down to Guererro. For me personally, it was definitely Zihuatanejo that attracted me to the area. The only reason I'm spending my first week there is that the group, a pool league, wants the "All Inclusive Resort" atmosphere. I booked my second week specifically to immerse myself in the real Mexican lifestyle n Zihuatanejo. If someone posts a message on the board opposing Robert's views, he could easily remove it, but leaves it posted and responds to it in a polite manner. The board's purpose is to provide information of all types to citizens, visitors and potential visitors alike. Many people in each category read his board daily. The debate about the pier that appears on his board is not scaring me in the least. In fact, it makes me want to come down and see the bay as it should be seen. I will continue to use Rob's site as a source of all sorts of information right up to the day I leave for Zihuatanejo.

I have lived in coastal regions here in Canada where large boats have altered ocean currents, displaced habitat and even killing small sea animals that got hit by the currents from the large motors. Even the beaches around the bay will not be the same. The traditional fishing pangas that are a large part of the Zihuatanejo economy would have to relocate, and no independant studies have been published that suggest a pier of that size could be built in Zihuatanejo Bay. Please don't push this through until you've weighed ALL of the costs.

Thank you.

Sincerely:

Derek MacBeth
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO