We don't need no stinkin' details!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.6.83 (dsl-189-147-6-83.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día martes, 20 de noviembre, 2007 a las 14:46:40 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: March Against Cruise Ship Pier in Zihuatanejo escrito por Phil in Toronto desde 69.159.192.154 (TOROON01-1168097434.sdsl.bell.ca) el día martes, 20 de noviembre, 2007 a las 13:51:24 horas :

Phil, I have seen nothing to demonstrate any real NEED for a new cruise ship pier anywhere in our region. The market trend is away from the week-or-so long cruises on the Pacific Coast of Mexico in favor of the shorter 2-and-3 day trips, if I recall the data correctly that I read on this subject. There is no DEMAND for more cruise ship excursions to this part of our coast.

If such a need existed I feel it would fall to the cruise ship industry to demonstrate it convincingly, something they have not done. Their studies do NOT show such a need. The collective reputations of our Mexican politicians do not lend credibility to their claims for a need for this pier, but instead raise suspicions about their true motives, especially since our local representatives should already know the local popular sentiment on this subject, which is strongly opposed to such a pier. Instead we see some local functionaries actually telling lies about the matter, some while they are also campaigning for upcoming elections (next year) and openly fomenting land invasions to attempt to build up voter blocs.

Fortunately there are also a few well-respected people in and close to our municipal government who are against this pier and in whom we trust to do the right thing at the right time. We believe their sensibilities will prevail over the very few who appear to be motivated by a very ugly form of greed as well as others who are simply uncaring about the future of the Zihuatanejo community or its bay and thus seek to please whom they believe to be potential benefactors.

If such a need for a new pier can actually be demonstrated conclusively then THAT IS WHAT IXTAPA IS FOR! Put it there! If a new pier would be such a great source of income let the government or the cruise ship industry invest the extra money to build the necessary breakwater. Marina Ixtapa could use a breakwater anyway. It's entrance is a joke (albeit a bit of a dangerous one).

On a related note, my wife and I as well as many of our friends are appalled but not surprised by images being distributed by some persons who claim they are "ecologists" against the pier. These images show cruise ships with red slashes or X's through them, giving the impression Zihuatanejo is against cruise ships. These types of images scare away tourists AND cruise ship companies who could not be faulted for wondering if they are not wanted here after seeing such images, and thus raise concerns about their physical safety. These images should be removed immediately! This is about NO NEW CRUISE SHIP PIER IN ZIHUATANEJO BAY. It has NOTHING to do with cruise ships themselves, and such images and messages only distract from our purpose and confuse the issue, which is where public functionaries get off saying we need to see the details of their plans. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' DETAILS OF A NEW CRUISE SHIP PIER IN ZIHUATANEJO BAY! WE DON'T WANT ANY NEW CRUISE SHIP PIER IN THE BAY, PERIOD!!

But we do hope the cruise ships will continue to arrive just as they have been for the past several decades. Many of our friends and neighbors do enough business with their passengers to make it worth their while. We would not want to jeapordize their livelihoods if it is at all avoidable, but we will block the construction of any new cruise ship pier in Zihuatanejo Bay. Of that you can be certain.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO