Re: More info-

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Laura desde 66.82.9.62 (AC5-Webproxy23.direcpc.com) el día jueves, 29 de noviembre, 2007 a las 17:45:54 horas :

En respuesta a: More info- escrito por coonbay1 desde 207.200.116.9 (cache-ntc-aa05.proxy.aol.com) el día jueves, 29 de noviembre, 2007 a las 13:54:41 horas :

I know that there are permits issued for some guided tours. But I also know that in fact it is illegal to issue these permits. They violate important Federal laws meant to protect just what these tours destroy in the beach, mangrove and dunes in the estuary area of La Barra de Potosi and Valentin.

Of course the drunken 'wild west' helter skelter individual drivers of ATVs and trucks on the beach must be stopped. But the guided tours also destroy important habitat in mangrove, dune and beach and present a threat to the peaceful beauty of the beach even if they move slowly.

If there were a watchdog group with the means to hire lawyers to take these illegal permits and their issuers to court, they would eventually win and the illegal issuing of these 'permits' would be stopped. Then the police must be called upon to actually enforce the existing laws which prohibit vehicles on the beach.

This will take some organization, money and willingness to focus on the issue... three rather difficult things unfortunately. We have two civil associations in La Barra. The one I am involved in has as it's primary focus the Children's Library Project and the hope of developing in the future more projects that will protect the village and overall area. The problem is that the villagers are not yet ready to focus on this issue... I mean 'ready' not in the sense of willingness but in skills and money. Obviously money is not easy to find. But we are working on it.

In the meantime, I would hope that the second A.C. which includes as it's members beach property owners all along Playa Blanca might take this project on. I've mentioned it to a couple of members. Perhaps they might decide to pool resources, hire lawyers and file a demanda against the necessary defendants. That would include the Ayuntamiento of Petatlan I suppose... who issued the permit, and the tour company offering the tour.

Anyway, this is work worth doing and I will hope that between all of us, we will soon be able to act on this. It's a very sad situation to be watching the beginning of the destruction of this incredibly beautiful place.

Hasta pronto,
Laura

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO