we oughtta be

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.39.138 (dsl-189-147-39-138.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 08 de diciembre, 2007 a las 12:24:16 horas :

En respuesta a: You're talking about municipal pollution, right? escrito por Bill desde 75.21.69.74 (adsl-75-21-69-74.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net) el día sábado, 08 de diciembre, 2007 a las 01:02:22 horas :

That is certainly what we ought to be talking about since you are correct in that pollution from ships anchored in our bay is not really an issue beyond a few rare occurrances of small oil slicks (nothing worse that what our local fishermen do filling up their tanks every day) and maybe a few styrofoam cups that fall overboard.

They do occasionally stir up the silt on the bottom of the bay, but the silting in of the bay is partly a result of the jetty at Puerto Mio interfering with the previously cleansing wave action for a significant part of the bay, partly a result of the inadequate wastewater treatment plants and most particularly the thousands of squatters that our "responsible authorities" have allowed to steal our ecological zones. I will never forgive those "responsible authorities" for the Cacapulcoesque future rife with probably insurmountable problems to which they condemned Zihuatanejo; what total BETRAYAL!

The silting in of the bay is not really a problem caused by the cruise ships, so I do not fault them for the silt they may stir and much less can I fault them for what is IN that silt and how it got there. Corruption has played the largest role in the silting and pollution problems our bay faces. But since our "responsible authorities" don't seem to listen to you or me or the rest of my neighbors and other good residents, taxpayers and voters of Zihuatanejo then it seems our problem are only going to get worse until something gives. The question is, just what might that "something" be?

If our current long-time repeat tourists stop coming will THAT get their attention? Will THAT spur change?

I don't believe so. Many of our long-time repeat visitors have already stopped coming, and hundreds more have expressed doubts about returning. What has been the response from the "responsible authorities"? Simple. Replace the old tourists with new ones via MORE CRUISE SHIPS and MEGAPROJECTS and ALL-INCLUDED HOTELS.

If we stop paying taxes will THAT spur change?

I doubt it. Less than a fifth of our residents pay any taxes already beyond the 15% IVA (a federal tax) on some products, and huge tax breaks are frequently given to those who can most afford to pay, including some rather large and expensive hotels. And since our "public servants" have apparently shown more interest in serving themselves than serving the public, it would appear that so as long as their salaries are paid any other revenue is almost burdensome (since they'll have to come up with details for a public project to skim from... all that paperwork!) and pales alongside what is made from "contributions", public contracts, federal and state apportations and a few other sources of easy sleasy money for those in positions to dole out "favors". Nevertheless, NOT PAYING LOCAL TAXES would definitely put a squeeze on municipal government that they could not ignore. So I'm all for this one.

If we sued our "responsible authorities" for NOT upholding the laws since they apparently have allowed all sorts of building violations as well as outright theft of public land, would THAT get their attention?

Well, apart from the failings of our rather archaic justice system, this has never been attempted locally so there is no local precedent. It has worked in some municipalities and failed in others, almost always invoking political cronyism and "extrajudicial" attempts to manipulate the outcome. I'm all for this too, if nothing else for its symbolic gesture, though it is also frought with possibly dangerous consequences for whoever puts their name on a lawsuit against an influential public servant. But oh, I forgot to mention. Most top-level public servants, especially elected ones, enjoy immunity from prosecution while in office, and it literally takes an act of Congress to remove that immunity. Witness what happened a few years ago to Andres Manuel López Obrador when he was mayor of Mexico City and campaigning for the Mexican presidency. He dared the federal government to strip him of immunity and arrest him for abusing the power of his office, and the entire strategy backfired against the federal government.

In the meantime, please scroll down to the bottom of the message board to the message titled "whom to contact" for a list of addresses you can write to in order to express your incomformity with the current situation and any other complaint you might have.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO