Trip Report-Fun in Ixtapa. Day Five

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por steveinpdx desde 76.115.97.74 (c-76-115-97-74.hsd1.or.comcast.net) el día martes, 11 de diciembre, 2007 a las 14:30:35 horas :

This part of Mexico puts me into a quiet rhythm. I fall into a routine that is part dream, part philosophical. Must be the heat, combined with the feeling that nothing is too important as to require my immediate attention. My phone has never worked in Mexico, and I've never addressed the issue. I don't want it to work here. I want to examine my naval, solve the world's problems, jump into the ocean.

Waking up to another beautiful day in paradise, I do a quick workout in the gym, walking along the pathways of the Bay View Grand to get there. The employees are busy addressing the beautification of the grounds. They do such great work. I'm always impressed with the seriousness of the Mexican approach to work. An example is a gardener looking after the plantings on the condo grounds. He approaches his job with complete seriousness and professionalism. Just as a physician approaches a patient. I've seen this time and again, be it an order of dinner or workman discussing a building issue. Everything takes on a great order of importance.

Kel and I went out to breakfast across the street to Nueva Zelander and sat outside, looking at the open square. Hardly any people were there this morning, but the locals expected the tourists to arrive at any time. We ordered eggs and bacon, strong coffee and delicious fresh-squeezed orange juice. Everything was reasonably priced, but we had the eggs taken back and cooked further. Just as elsewhere in the world, eggs done well must be an American invention. But the breakfast was excellent and the coffee was out of this world delicious. The orange tree must've been out back because I never taste freshness is juice like I do here.

The heat of the day cooked us a little on our way back so we whiled away on the terrace overlooking the pool and surf and read, relaxed and enjoyed Mexican time. Saw a couple small "stingrays" feeding in the surf, dancing around some tourists who were oblivious to the living creatures an arms length away from their splashing in the water.

We jumped into a taxi and took the old route into Zihuatanejo, stopping at the basketball court in El Centro. The cost was 50 pesos. My buddy thinks there is a gringo tax from staying at the Bay View Grand. I don't disagree.

We walked around a bit as the sun set on the town. A lot of construction projects in the downtown area with the walkways torn up for the laying of wires and such. It'll look great when things are through but a gauntlet requiring some nimble prowess currently.

After checking out some shops and restaurant menus we had a beer and margarita at 3 Amigos restaurant. We sat at an outside table, people watching and enjoying the sounds of downtown. A gal from Canada, Patti, sat down adjacent to us and proceeded to have a great conversation. She schooled us with her 31 years of coming to Mexico. She was very knowledgeable about the customs, the people, etc. She opined about proper tipping (she said not to tip cabbies, but always tip waiters. She was from the school of ten per cent).

sidenote: We always tip, tipping well for good service. I think twenty per cent of your bill is an appropriate tip for waiters and and a diez peso coin for a local cab ride. I don't like being looked upon as an ugly American as I am always polite, but I sometimes sense that I am the tip prey.

We decided to eat with Patti and her little street vending friend Jose. I had a "costco" burger with fries and a couple beers. Excellent burger, still looking for a good fry in Mexico. Kel had a salad which she loved. It had shrimp, tomatoes, lettuce, and a whole slew of excellent additions that helped through her self-imposed salad layoff. After saying goodbye to Patti and Jose, our friends came with us to Ricks Bar to listen to live music and have a couple of Ricks great tequila. We were not disappointed. I'm not sure of the guava type or locat1on, but his tequila is of the very nice sipping variety. I don't even have tequila in the house back in Oregon, but it seems as natural as a geiko on the wall here in Zihua.

With a slight buzz and full stomach, we followed our friends to Zorro's, which is just around the corner. We had a couple more drinks while Kel is negotiating with every child street vendor within blocks. They are all selling toys and gum and she is buying them at retail and giving the items back. She is a hopeless businesswoman but a great heart. It breaks my heart to see some of the various sides of this city. I guess we can't solve all the worlds' problems, but we can chew some gum.

Back at the condo, the not-so-full-moon lights up the ocean as we quietly listen to the waves lull us to a wonderful sleep. Another great day in paradise.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO