points of agreement

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.39.138 (dsl-189-147-39-138.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 15 de diciembre, 2007 a las 16:39:12 horas :

En respuesta a: Charitible school funding facts escrito por Lorenzo Marbut desde 189.147.44.212 (dsl-189-147-44-212.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 15 de diciembre, 2007 a las 15:21:06 horas :

While I certainly laud your efforts and congratulate you for your successes, and you know we have discussed this issue before, the fact that the mere construction of both the Netza school and the Nueva Creación school (also currently embroiled in a socio-political squabble if you keep up with local news) have fulfilled a requirement to help squatters regularize (obtain title to) lands they occupied illegally has set a very controversial precedent, made more so by the involvement of foreigners who may not speak our language or keep up with local issues or understand the basic nuances of our socio-political problems. The Municipal Government of course is all too glad to use its public resources to further their political ambitions and assist you all to "help" those communities. It means more votes for them since they more than likely brought most of the squatters here in the first place.

But the fact that these two particular communities received help from foreigners (at the suggestion of Marina Sánchez, if I'm not mistaken) and then both succeeded in having their zoning designation changed lights up a huge neon sign in a dark sky screaming "VACANCY" at future squatters and causes more than a little concern at the apparent ease with which some foreigners were enticed to collude and essentially be used as pawns in a corrupt practice. Of course some of the foreigners only appear to be seeing what they want to see: some poor children getting an education. But the damage done to the community at large is not worth helping THOSE SPECIFIC CHILDREN in the way they have been helped. Any help at all to the squatters is seen by an awful lot of people here as encouraging more illegal land settlements. Let me repeat: many squatters are not what what they appear to be, and many have multiple parcels of land, some even in Acapulco.

What you see as helpless poor people in need of a home is not seen in the same light by locals familiar with the land theft trade. Again, a great number of our squatters are simply not what they appear to be. Haven't you ever noticed there are no squatters in Ixtapa? Why not? Could there be collusion between the authorities? That's where most of jobs are, isn't it? And why do the squatters not appear the least bit interested in more habitable flat lands in surrounding areas NOT in Zihuatanejo's amphitheater? Could land value have anything to do with it?Once again, things are not what they appear on the surface (a point I seem unable to impress upon some Netza and Nueva Creación supporters who either don't speak our language or don't live here or both).

I sincerely thank you for your explanation, Larry. I hope we can continue working out some of our differences and hopefully help the Zihuatanejo community better. You in your way and I in mine.

Recibe un cordial saludo.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO