Re: Charitible school funding facts

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Lorenzo Marbut desde 189.147.44.212 (dsl-189-147-44-212.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 15 de diciembre, 2007 a las 23:58:29 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Charitible school funding facts escrito por Vancouvertony desde 216.232.53.88 (aiip8iqy17fa.bc.hsia.telus.net) el día sábado, 15 de diciembre, 2007 a las 15:29:01 horas :

Perhaps I was not clear about Sailfest’s relationship with the Nueva Creaciòn school. For several years, Sailfest declined to provide meaningful funding to the school precisely because it was sited on illegal land. We waited until FIBAZI donated legal land for a new school approximately five blocks from the old school site. FIBAZI has also plotted more than 100 new home sites surrounding the school that they are selling to low income families. So far, they have been vigilant and successful in discouraging squatters. In my math, that adds up to a legal school, on legal land, surrounded by legal residents.

I have no desire to debate “squatters” with you, it is a problem ubiquitous to poor countries around the world, and a serious issue in Mexico ever since Hernán Cortès first squatted atop that Aztec temple. Perhaps there really are squatters that own several home sites upon which they have serially squatted. Perhaps the American urban legend of the welfare (usually black) mother, who picks up her checks in a shiny-new Cadillac, is also true. But, in both cases, if true, they are certainly the exception to the rule.

Most of the families we work with are profoundly poor. Many are the victims of NAFTA, which put 1.2 million Mexican small farmers out of business, and they have migrated to the cities looking for work. I would not be surprised if many still owned a rural plot of land that no longer supports their families.

But, again, to be very clear, I am not an apologist for squatters, nor will I be a willing accomplice to anyone’s illegal activities.

I do live here and I do speak nearly-adequate Spanish, albeit, in my own clumsy fashion. I am a somewhat serious student of Mexico’s history, culture and socio-political issues, as the fifty-some, well-thumbed books on my shelf will attest. And I depend upon Mexican periodicals, Mexican friends and our Mexican committee members to keep me al3rt to the nuances of our very complex local culture. It would appear that I meet most of your very strict criteria for one to be entitled to have an opinion on these issues. My friend, I may be a lot of things, including wrong, but I do not consider myself particularly naïve or uninformed.

I am not religious (in fact, exactly the opposite), but I seem to remember some advice from the Good Book that warns us not to “visit the sins of the fathers unto the children”. I believe it is sound advice in any circumstance I can conceive of.

Rob, you urge me not to help “these specific children”. Please play Solomon for a moment, and tell me what you would do with these utterly blameless kids who represent, in some small but significant way, the future of the Mexico we both so passionately love.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO