washing helping hands

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.39.138 (dsl-189-147-39-138.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día domingo, 16 de diciembre, 2007 a las 11:01:28 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Charitible school funding facts escrito por Lorenzo Marbut desde 189.147.44.212 (dsl-189-147-44-212.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 15 de diciembre, 2007 a las 23:58:29 horas :

Well, truthfully, the damage is done. The help that Netza and Nueva Creación received from foreigners has been used as an example to entice thousands more squatters to come and take part in the continuing land theft of Zihuatanejo. Right next door to the squatters' settlement where Nueva Creación's families live another settlement is cutting, burning, digging, building and moving in. And very near where Netza was built the same thing. The consequences to the bay are just about at the breaking point: we have had more "bad" days this year than ever where the water was unswimmable in more places due to the pollution. The strain on the municipal government and our social services has also long passed its limit. While the municipal government has been courting the votes of the squatters, changing our laws to accommodate them and spending our scarce resources to placate them, it has come at too steep a price for the rest of the community. And now it's come to the point where we are losing tourism due to the crime, pollution, visible squallor, wandering merchants, and general deterioration of our environment and services.

So beyond repeating that foreigners should not get involved in helping local squatters in any way, shape or form, I've really nothing more to add. That sentiment is not just mine. It is pretty much the general sentiment of the Zihuatanejo community.

My wife and I have had no trouble finding needy families and especially children to help that have no relation to the squatter problem. But our advice to the foreigners helping squatters went unheeded for too long, so now all we can do is learn to live with the consequences and accept that we will now lose the tourists who came here for what Zihuatanejo was but no longer is. If only all of you had listened when I sounded the alarm over your activities years ago. But now it really appears that it is too late. We will never be able to provide the social services required for the tens of thousands of squatters who have found a warm welcome from corrupt politicians and generous foreigners. Zihuatanejo will never again be the peaceful and carefree place with pristine beaches and crystalline waters it was before the recent massive land invasions. We will never again be a town where folks can feel safe walking the streets at night. Just amazing how much we have lost in last ten years or so. In a very short time we will be a miniature caricature of Acapulco.

Currently our state's educational system is embroiled in a vicious political battle with no end in sight, and even here in Zihuatanejo there are skirmishes. One being the current problems with the directora of Netza, and thus by extension Nueva Creación since it is legally only an extension of Netza. Again, it is not a coincidence that a local flash point of brewing trouble is the directora of the Netza school and her involvement with the two schools supported by foreigners. I really don't know how to draw that picture any clearer for you.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO