Re: washing helping hands

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Lorenzo Marbut desde 189.147.44.212 (dsl-189-147-44-212.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 17 de diciembre, 2007 a las 11:58:31 horas :

En respuesta a: washing helping hands escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.147.39.138 (dsl-189-147-39-138.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día domingo, 16 de diciembre, 2007 a las 11:01:28 horas :

There seems to be a misconception that these schools exist only because of charitable funding by foreigners. That is not the case, not at all.

All the organizations of which I am aware provide only supplemental funding for specific educational projects to schools that are approved by, and that receive their primary funding from, Mexican government sources. Por Los Niños de Zihuatanejo, for example, provides grants to 14 under-funded schools, including the two that Rob disapproves of. (I do not know his opinion of the efforts to enhance educational opportunities at the other twelve schools.)

Is a significant portion of the funding from international donors? Of course it is, that’s where the money is. Charitable organizations, such as Rotary International, fund educational projects in poor nations around the world, and have for decades. In most cases, the local recipient community has initiated the request for help, and is instrumental in deciding who is helped.

Zihua’s local community has also put its money where its heart is. Examples would include the nearly 200 locally-owned Zihuatanejo businesses who support and donate to Sailfest, and the local musicians whose compilation CD and benefit concerts have raised more than $150,000 pesos to build classrooms, and the City of Zihuatanejo which donated $280,000 pesos worth of construction materials to the Nueva Creaciòn Building Fund, and the local Zihuatanejo Rotary Club (which has only one American member, me) that tirelessly raises funds for projects at several schools.

It is certainly legitimate to ask if the local community supports the local and international efforts to help the children in Zihuatanejo’s under-funded schools. Based on my four years of experience as a local resident and proud fund-raiser, the answer appears to be a resounding and enthusiastic “Yes!”

I agree that educational issues in Mexico have become a” political football”. Any charitable group with an iota of wisdom stays the hell out of politics, as the law requires them to do.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO