beach ATV's

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Hutch#1 desde 76.202.198.29 (adsl-76-202-198-29.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net) el día sábado, 23 de febrero, 2008 a las 11:18:24 horas :

A recent trip culminated in a confrontation with an ATV tour operator originating in Pantla. After Frisco Juan and myself followed the group to a lagoon (walking) on playa Pantla and Buena Vista, I informed the riders that this tour was not only illegal, but was strictly prohibited by the State of Gro., the Federal Government, Profepa and Semarnat. There are signs along the beach in Pantla and Buena Vista stating this fact. Of course, the signs have to be continually replaced because having them posted hurts business. Some have been shot up and shredded.

To the governments credit, they are replacing them and adding new ones as well. The riders on the tour were shocked that they were breaking the law and putting an endangered species in even further danger.

That stretch of beach is a federally protected sea turtle sanctuary. The locals and foreigners (from around the globe) work their asses off, side by side collecting the eggs and placing them in hatcheries along the beach. If you are lucky to see it, the release to the sea is an incredible sight.

Anyway the point is do not support this kind of activity. with all the complaints about the ecology and government corruption, you can make a difference by not engaging on these tours in protected areas. If you really want to experience the beach, take a walk, listen to the birds and sea, see the crocs at the lagoon and maybe see a school of dolphins or a whale breaching. That's not too easy to do at 30 MPH in a racing group of 10 ATV's.

We have a copy of the law at the beach and there are no exceptions for any "operator". The operator got in my face about how he has lived there his entire life and can do what he pleases. Yes, he is right as long as it is within the law. His tours are not.

After a short search I found the operators contact info. Of course, a tourist was gushing about how great it was. I wonder if that opinion still applies when they find out that the "cool" atv's they were riding are adding to a problem that is not only Mexican but Global in consequences. Frisco Juan has the pictures of the signage and the riders. I hope he gets them on the boards quickly.

DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS ACTIVITY IN PLAYA BLANCA, BARRA DE POTOSI OR PLAYA PANTLA / BUENA VISTA.

Have a great trip

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO