Re: Semana Santa Factoid

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Phil in Toronto desde 99.232.121.242 (CPE00c002c5db57-CM00186832fb3e.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) el día domingo, 23 de marzo, 2008 a las 17:56:52 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Semana Santa Factoid escrito por rebecca desde 99.234.34.188 (CPE00010320a540-CM0018c0dbad40.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) el día sábado, 22 de marzo, 2008 a las 09:03:23 horas :

I was thinking about that as well. Best answer I found was this and it is a tad complex. The simple answer is it a particularday and date of the Jewish Calendar. Here is a more detailed and complex explanation

In fact, in the Hebrew calendar, Passover always begins on the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nissan for those who celebrate Passover for 7 days or for 8 days and always ends on the 21st day of Nissan for those who celebrate Passover for 7 days, and always ends on the 22nd day of Nissan for those who celebrate Passover for 8 days. However, in the Gregorian calendar which comprises the January to December months of the year, Passover begins and ends on different days each year. Why? (I had to ask) Well, I asked, so here comes the answer: the Hebrew calendar is primarily a lunar calendar, meaning the months are determined by the new moon that occurs when the first sliver of the moon appears following the complete darkness of the moon, and the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar based upon the Earth's rotation around the sun. Since there are 12.4 lunar months in every solar year, this means that a 12-month lunar calendar will lose about 11 days off the solar calendar every year. Since the Passover date is a fixed date in the Hebrew calendar then this means that the Passover date would occur earlier and earlier in the Springtime in the solar year until it would occur in the Wintertime, then in Autumn, then in Summer, and then back to Spring, and so on. To make up for this 'drift' in the Passover date through the solar months of the solar year, an extra month was periodically added to the Hebrew calendar so that the Passover date would drift back about 11 days each year for about two or three years, then jump forward by about a month's worth of days (29 or 30 days). To help solve this problem, Rabbi Hillel II in 358 or 359 C.E. used astronomical and mathematical calculations to align the lunar year with the solar year over a 19-year cycle. To achieve this, Hillel II standardized the length of each of the 12 lunar months, making them either 29 or 30 days so that the length of the 12 lunar months could be aligned with the length of each of the 12 solar months. Additionally, over this 19-year cycle, a second month of "Adar" called "Adar II" was and is added in the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 19th years of the cycle, meaning in those years the month of Adar is replaced with the months of Adar I and Adar II. The leap year for Adar is 30 days and in non-leap years, Adar has 29 days. Under Hillel II's lunisolar Hebrew calendar, the months are determined according to the new moon and the years are determined according to the sun. This means that the Passover date will change only slightly from year to year in the Gregorian or solar calendar, with the second month of Adar being periodically added to keep the Passover date in the Springtime. It is important to keep Passover in the Springtime because this is when the first Passover occurred and because Passover must be celebrated in the specific agricultural season of Springtime, which depends on the solar year and necessitates the Passover date adjustment.

And if you just can't get enough info ....check out this link if you have a couple of hours to spend info gathering.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/passoverdate.html

....but hey, I warned you !

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO