Trip Report December 9-16 2009

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Carter desde 72.152.250.95 (adsl-152-250-95.asm.bellsouth.net) el día domingo, 20 de diciembre, 2009 a las 22:29:49 horas :

Day 1- My wife Susan and I left Atlanta at 7AM. Arrive at 1:00PM. Picked up at airport by our friend Alberto. Stopped at La Comer for supplies. At the condo at La Casa Que Ve al Mar by 2:30. Swam and hung out at the pool. Early to bed.

Day 2- Walked to Madera beach. Parked ourselves at MJ & Ritches while Susan and I each had a great massage by Antonia (250 Pesos) Swam in the ocean. Walked to the Mercado. Late lunch at a Fonda. Pork, rice and beans for me. Chicken mole, rice and beans for Susan. 35 Pesos each. Purchased fresh veggies at the Mercado. Back to condo pool for sunset.

Day 3- Fresh fruit and postries for breakfast. Took bus to Plaza Kyoto and then walked to La Comer. Great hair cut with razor neck shave for me (70 Pesos) Cab back to condo with supplies (Coconut ice cream/ yum) Swam and lounged at condo pool. Lety’s for dinner. Coconut shrimp for me and Dorado for Susan. Lety came out and introduced herself to us. Excellent meal prepared by her talented hands and interesting fellow patrons, especially the group of Dutchmen who were visiting Zihua for 8 days, 7 of which were to be spent fishing. Went to Catholic Church next to Bandido’s for Our Lady of Guadalupe activities. The children were up past their bedtimes to see the processions of the faithful carrying their huge wreaths into the church in honor of Our Lady, accompanied by lovely singing. The kids were in traditional dress with the little boys especially charming in their painted-on mustaches, sideburns and hats to represent the humble indigenous man, Juan Diego, to whom Our Lady appeared in several visions.

Day 4- Met Lady M and her husband Paul at the pier at 7AM for a day of fishing with Julio on the Joceline. 25 miles out. One Dorado hooked but got away at the boat. 2 Pez vela tagged and released. Susan caught her first sail fish. Reeled him to the boat in about 30 minutes. Very exciting. Saw several huge sea turtles and a school of dolphins swam along side our boat for a couple minutes. Otilla’s for lunch and a nice swim. Back to town and a visit to the local humane society. Made a donation & bought a T-Shirt for 120 pesos with "Sociedad Protectora de Animales de Zihuatanejo". Not able to see animals. Said they were upstairs and we would have to wait one hour for the caretaker to return. Back to condo pool for another great sunset.

Day 5- Trip to El Refugio de Potosi, a wonderful place. One hour tour with Pablo who is a bilingual biologist and incredibly knowledgeable about the wildlife in the area. One of the first stops on Pablo’s tour was the skeleton of the beached whale that expired at Potosi last August. We remembered hearing about the poor thing from the message board. Iguana house was interesting since the males are getting ready for mating season as evidenced by the orange hue on their backs. Climbed to the top of the tower. Breathtaking views of the lagoon, Los Morros and the Sierra Madres. On to La Barra for a swim and fresh snapper with garlic. A dip in the pool and down to the B-ball court for hamburgers, tamales, flan and enjoyed local Sunday (family night) entertainment.

Day 6- Spent the day on La Ropa at Paty’s. Water was clear and just warm enough. Several Indio cervezas. Shrimp & Avocado salad for lunch. A dip in the condo pool. Walk back down to Paty’s for dinner under the stars and palm trees. We both had Mahi-Mahi. Complimentary Kahlua & Crème. Split a piece of Margarita Key Lime Pie

Day 7- Did a little condo maintenance, light painting. Hung at the pool. Great sunset. Dinner at Salvador’s with friends. Dorado & shrimp were excellent. 2 for 1 drinks

Day 8- Breakfast at Elvira’s. Huevos Rancheros for Susan. Spinach, mushroom & cheese omlette for me. Also mango shake. One last dip in the ocean. Back up the hill for one last dip in the pool. To the airport. Back to reality and cold weather in Atlanta.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO