Trip Report Uruapan & Patzcuaro (Lot's of pics!)

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Hunter-MX desde 189.147.4.104 (dsl-189-147-4-104-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día miércoles, 12 de mayo, 2010 a las 17:55:34 horas :

As promised in the last post about the waterfalls, here is a trip report on our recent visit to two of my favorite places to spend time. Uruapan and Patzcuaro, Mich. My Mom and Stepfather were visiting and not wanting them to believe coastal Guerrero is all there is of Mexico, we decided a "trip up the hill" was in order. Decided to bus it so as not to have worries about car troubles and to give a fuller "Mexican" experience.

Chose Parhikuni for their early departure, straight through,and first class service. Tickets about 325p a person. Comfortable ride. Left Z at about 8:30 and arrived in Uruapan by 12:30. A quick 25p taxi ride to the zocalo. Found a nice hotel just off the square called Hotel Alameda. 450p for the night, 4 people.

Checked in and dropped the bags, walked to the Parque Nacional less the 15 minutes away. Grabbed lunch in a fonda across the street from the entrance and then toured the park.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A trip to Walmart and some KFC for dinner. Before you start screeching, remember, I live here year round and a little Kentucky Fried is a treat for us, and Walmart an ugly necessity for some hard to find items.

Headed back to the center of town for some people watching, delicious ice cream and a walk through the mercado...

Up early and off to Patz. Taxi from Uruapan to Patzcuaro was 300p. Nice driver, offered to pick us up to come back when we were ready the next day. He assured us that taxis were far more expensive in Patz.

Checked into Posada de la Rosa on the Plaza Chico, just steps from the mercado and with a balcony view of the zocalo. Shared European style bathrooms and great price, 300p for 4 people.

Out to the mercado and around the town...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Patzcuaro is truely a photographers paradise, especially if you have a little patience and can wait for the roads to clear to get some old world style shots.

An OUT OF THIS WORLD lunch of birria de borrego and tacos de borrego! Lots of window shopping and talk of how much we would like to relocate there. Took that silly little tram ride around town. Back to hotel, sitting around the square, dinner of chicken and potatoes, again wonderful. Off to bed.

Morning and a trip to Isla Janitzio. We had not been before. Told to be at the docks early to beat "the crowds". Well, the crowds never materialized and waited an hour to get the required 20 people to get the boat moving.

It was all worth it though as morning on the lake was sublime...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once on the Isla, the magic didn't stop. Photo ops on every turn...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Another outstanding lunch at VERY good prices. I figured the restaurants would have that US philosophy of having a captive audience and charging high prices, but they do not.

One highly recommended treat, charales capeados. They are deep fried little fishes, topped with lime and chili (of course). Addicting to eat. You will see them in picture below just about center. All the restaurants build these elaborate displays of their foods.

Photobucket

This young girl was on the boat trip back with us. I just couldn't resist snapping a picture of her.
Photobucket

Back to the hotel. Found a taxi to Uruapan, only 250p, so much for the other drivers advice. Great driver, took a small side trip to show us another wonderful lake. Clear blue waters and storybook setting. Oh well, next trip. Got to the bus terminal with time to spare. 4:15 back to Z, there by 8:15 and the long drive home to Troncones...

Hope you enjoyed.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO