USA car in Mexico

by Talley Ho @, Playa la Ropa, Friday, June 18, 2021, 20:13 (709 days ago) @ Toby@Zihua

As a permanent resident of Mexico, you can't legally drive a non Mexico plated vehicle in Mexico.

As permanent residents of Mexico, and US citizens, we moved here to paradise. We drove a Guerrero plated Durango, pulling an 8 foot enclosed cargo trailer, also Guerrero plated, to the US, specifically California three years ago. We made sure that our Mexico insurance covered our liability in the US, and the trailer, and it did, with no additional charges.

During the just under 3 months it took for us to sell our entire lives, we drove the Durango through Arizona, both ways, and used it as our vehicle in California. We were NEVER stopped, questioned or other during that time, including at the border traveling in both directions.

Although it was never an issue, we made sure we had Mexican driver's licenses.

The legality of vehicles in both Mexico and the US is very clear. IF you need to use your Mexico insurance, which you really need to have, you absolutely must have exactly the correct immigration status for the vehicle that is involved in an issue. The same is true for US insurance.

It is an interesting issue and the information is readily available.

Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread