Trip report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on May 22, 2000 at 13:33:39:

My wife and I spent the week in Zihuatanejo from 5-13 to 5-20. We came in on America West airlines. The airport in Zihuatanejo is far better than the one in Cabo San Lucas. From there we caught a cab to the Hotel Villa Del Sol where we stayed for the week. FYI- learn how to tell the cab drivers to drive slowly (it is the best phrase you can learn for the week). The Hotel Villa Del Sol is something out of the movies. The place is thick with coconut, banana, mango, and lime trees. Flowers are everywhere. We stayed in a "deluxe" room. It was o.k. but, I thought it would have been a bit bigger for the price. Later in the week we asked to see some other style of rooms (more expensive) for when we come back again. These rooms were beyond belief in appearance. You would want to live in them forever.
When it came to dining, we tried a variety of places. Our first night we walked down the beach to Rossy's. We both had seafood and sat upstairs. All around a good place. On Sunday we met a man from the United States at La Perla. Never did catch his name but he was great to visit with. Had lots of information for us and knew a lot about the area. We ate at La Perla and the food was a bit better. Had some Coco Locos (FYI- look out for these, they can be dangerous).
On Monday we finally went into town for the day (cabs are only $20 pesos (~$2.00 US) one way. They were $5.00US one way in Cabo and were a very short distance. We got dropped of at the bank (three of them very close together). ATM machines worked fine both times we used them and exchanging US money for pesos was fine across the bank counter. Went down to the Mercado after that. I don't want to give anything away but if you have never been there, go! Walked down to the shops and restaurants by the pier. A couple were closed up for the week like Coconuts and La Sirena Gorda but, all of the others we open. We ate lunch one day at Elviras. Food was good enough for two visits for the week. Ate at JJs another night. Food is a little on the American side, but is a good place to go to catch an American sporting event. Tried La Bocana another night. Good place to get some authentic Mexican food at good prices. Another night ate at La Giovata (past Rossys). Another good place for seafood and a nice view.
Finally two other good places are Tamales y Atoles and Bananas (breakfast!!)
Spent one day fishing aboard the Whisky I. Best day I spent while I was down there. Saw manta rays, sea turtles, and 100+ dolphins swimming along the boat.
Spent another doing an interactive cooking class through our hotel. This was nice. Our guide took us back to the market to purchase ingredients and then back to their home to prepare. We got to see Ixtapa and some crocs!
Attended a Mexican fiesta one night at our hotel. The food was only 2nd to the interactive cooking class. The staff at the hotel was great but the food selection was not the best.
Walked by other hotels but when we are on vacation we like to live it up so we will definitely return to Villa Del Sol.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]