Archeology

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ernie Gorrie on July 12, 2000 at 20:08:44:

In Reply to: archeologi posted by john on July 12, 2000 at 15:27:07:

There is a small museum in Zihuatanejo that describes the history of the area to pre-hispanic times. It includes artifacts from the area.

Zihuatanejo was a "resort" area for the Tarascan Indians. (Some things don't change much, eh?) The centre of their sphere of influence was in what is now Michoacan and Colima. They are one of the few nations in what is now Mexico that were not conquered by the Aztecs.

My recollection is that all of the display descriptions are in Spanish, but it was a few years ago that I was there.

The museum is right on the waterfront in the downtown area, a couple of blocks south (east) of the basketball courts. Any of the taxi drivers can get you there. If you are staying at the Suzy, Posada Citlali, or Avila, ( or if you stop in to visit Rob) it is about a two minute walk.

I know that many museums in Mexico are free on Sundays, but the admission is very inexpensive and well worth the support to the museum. I know it is/was closed one day a week because the first time I tried to visit it was closed.

I understand there is or has been a dig near the airport. My understanding is that it is active/inactive depending on the funds available to continue the excavation.

Maybe Rob can help with more information.

Follow Ups: