Our Review of Melia Azul/Ixtapa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carlos Juanita on July 23, 2000 at 19:01:57:

My husband & I just got back yesterday (7/22/00)from our first visit to Ixtapa. We stayed at the Melia Azul. I was concerned before we left because of the reviews I had read on the message boards but my own experience proved the negative reviews to be wrong. The Melia is a beautiful hotel with much to boast about. We have no children now but I was thourougly impressed by all the activities they had for the kids. This is definitely a family type of hotel but also quiet and definetly a place for relaxation. Our view from our balcony was magnificent as we could see and hear the ocean throughtout the day and evening. Our trip was all-inclusive which I definetly prefer. We could eat whenever and whatever at any time we wanted to. We also enjoyed room service at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the food but believe it or not my favorite was cornflake, granola, FRESH COCONUT cereal for breakfast and all they had was BIG SPOONS----I LOVE THAT. The Melia has 3 HUGE swimming pools, 3 or 4 jacuzzi's, a huge kids pool that looked like a minature water park. I was jealous. It had tennis courts, outdoor bowling, beach volleyball, a workout gym, a massage and beauty parlor. At the pool you could check out towels, a raft, snorkeling gear, kiyaks, a catamaran, for no extra charge. Banana boat rides were available for $5 for half an hour. About 1/2 mile from our shore is Ixtapa Island where nearby boats can shuttle you over for $3. While it is true that the sand is a darker color due to the feeder creeks, it is a very short distance to walk to a whiter beach. The staff at the hotel was wonderful. They are friendly and patient. They know more English than I know Spanish. Two resturants were buffet style, one was a hamburger, pizza, taco snack bar. Then they have two resturants that are reservation required and pants required (although I did see some shorts in the Oyster Bar.) One is the Oyster Bar and the other is Costa Azul. Costa Azul is better. Be sure to take mosquito repellent for outdoors at night. If your're going as a married couple with or without kids, enjoy the romantic atmosphere. One thing I did enjoy was that the Melia is away from town and the other hotels. It made it very nice and quiet and special. To ride a taxi to town was $7 each way or you could ride the minibus for 50 cents.
Past the Oyster Bar is a nice stretch of beach that is white and full of sea shells by the sea shore. In the other direrection (north) you can see Mexican fisherman of all ages working. There is one other small hotel (alligators nearby in creek) then the rest of what you see is desserted beach free for the exploring....full of palm trees, mountainous, jungle, absolutely beautiful. I would also recommend going in off season which is now (May thru September). No crowds. The only drawback in that is that it is the rainy season but for us it only rained one night and the locals told us it only rained at night. Fishing was still great (we hooked 5 sail fish and boated 3 within 5 hours). The tanning is great. The ocean feels good, looks good, sound good. Ixtapa is definitely a magnificant display of God's handiwork.....and He also created the stars.

Follow Ups: