Re: Pretty Tough

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ZihuaRob on February 27, 2001 at 12:10:32:

In Reply to: Re: Pretty Tough posted by parsavr on February 27, 2001 at 08:55:44:

I first came here in the fall of 1974 for a 6-month visit with my mother and brother. During that time I met the girl who would become my future wife, Lupita Bravo. It was love at first sight!

When I left to go back to the States I forgot to get her mailing address. Of course I knew WHERE her house was, but there really were no street addresses in use then. So we had no contact for 15 years.

In 1989 I returned to visit my mother who had moved here a couple of years previously. I brought along my wife and 4 year old daughter. My wife and I were nursing a dead romance and after a month and a half here decided to call it quits.

About that time I saw Lupita in her boutique. I expected to find her fat and married with 10 kids... she looked better than I remembered and it took me two days to work up the courage to re-introduce myself to her. When I finally did work up the courage (after a couple of beers) she was at the pier during a fishing tournament surrounded by male friends & admirers. In my then pitiful Spanish I asked her if she remembered me. She said no, but yes, but "help me to remember". And it was love at first sight for the second time. We soon became inseparable.

I quickly returned briefly to the U.S. for my divorce and rushed back to marry my childhood sweetheart, and we've been celebrating our honeymoon ever since!

I have lived on an island in the Caribbean, as well as various islands in Florida, and well know the island fever syndrome. It never bothered me then and has not bothered me since. I enjoy that type of small community. Frankly I feel more of foreigner in the U.S. than I ever have here where I now have quite an extensive Mexican family who have taken me in as one of their own.

When I first moved here I did indeed run with the ex-pat crowd, which seem to spend all their time drinking. Once I married Lupita I left that scene behind. I rarely hang out with foreigners anymore, and prefer the company and language of my adopted countrymen and women. It's a choice I am very comfortable with, but that I well know is not for everyone. Most U.S. ex-pats do indeed spend most of their day in the company of other U.S. Americans speaking English and living in a more U.S. American world than a Mexican world. It is perfectly normal and gives them a sense of security in a foreign environment, but also leads to anxiety.

I feel truly blessed for having my wonderful family and friends, and am probably one of the luckiest gringos to have ever set foot in this town! Something I never let myself forget with the dawn of each new day.

Follow Ups: