Manzanillo

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.88.4 (dup-200-65-88-4.prodigy.net.mx) on martes, septiembre 17, 2002 at 20:02:36 :

In Reply to: Re: Snorkelling in the Zihua area posted by Rahul from 63.183.168.193 (sdn-ap-017scfairP0193.dialsprint.net) on martes, septiembre 17, 2002 at 17:24:16 :

I don't recommend hiking without a local who knows the area. Hiking in Mexico is not like hiking through a park. There are many risks and other things to consider, not the least of which is if you have an accident no "rescue squad" is going to come looking for you. Safety is a major consideration in the bush.

The trail is not one which lends itself to being drawn on a map, being that there are many trails. Generally, you catch the path very near where Los Tucanes is at La Ropa, head uphill almost to the top, and bear off to the left along an arroyo near the top of the hill which will take you over the crest and down to the other side. It's a long walk down along loose, sharp stones and through some fairly dense bush-type jungle. Turn left at the coast and follow the rocky beach to the end. Climb the steep path uphill to cross over the small point that juts out there (following the shoreline is possible but longer and more difficult, BTDT) and cross over the small point through lots of tall grass coming down another steep hill where you'll find yourself on the white sand of Playa Manzanillo. From La Ropa it takes about 40-45 minutes for most folks. I usually make it in 20-30 minutes, depending on if I'm sightseeing or not. ;~)

You will need to bring PLENTY of water.

If you want to be cool, take along a couple of garbage bags to clean up the beach area. Maybe one of the boaters will be nice enough to take away the garbage, as I've always done whenever I visit there.

The only road I know of goes as far as 2 coves away, a little over kilometer, and is in terrible condition. I've noticed that the more people use that road, the more trash and destruction occurs along that coastline, so it's just as well that this road not be promoted and that this area remain as isolated as possible. Unchecked exploitation leads to ruination, and as I mentioned, this is not a park, so it's up to all of us to insure it remains as pristine as possible.

I've heard of plans to develop this area as has happened along the beaches to the north of Ixtapa where the condo commandos now share supremacy along with some ultra-wealthy homeowners. That would be a tragedy and a great loss to all of us if this were allowed to happen at the Playa Manzanillo area, which SHOULD be made into a national park and marine and wildlife reserve, IMHO.

See my Activities page for some recommended charter captains who can take you there and even prepare lunch on the beach if you like.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.