Almost Live Storm Cam

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.89.158 (dup-200-65-89-158.prodigy.net.mx) on jueves, septiembre 26, 2002 at 13:54:25 :

I've put some photos online taken yesterday and this morning showing a little of the storm damage in the La Ropa and downtown areas. The cleanup crews were at work even while the wind was still howling, so many ofthe fallen trees in town are mostly cut away and stacked for removal this morning, and the town looks much better than it did late yesterday afternoon when everywhere you looked there was debris.

Most of you won't even notice the difference by the time you arrive here for your vacations, and not as many trees were downed as I had thought, though they must certainly number in the thousands taking into account Zihuatanejo, Ixtapa and the surrounding communities. Early estimates report as many as 500 homes were damaged, though no one has asked us if our home was damaged, and I doubt anyone will. Though there is no doubt many homes of the area's poor were the hardest hit, and that many of them will receive assistance, it certainly does strike me as odd that the actual taxpaying community is always overlooked when it comes to disaster relief and assistance. Probably because we represent such a small proportion of the population and thus very few votes. Hmmmm... :~/

See the photos at www.zihuatanejo.net/tsjulio/

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.