Killing Fish for Sport - NOT GOOD!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.89.222 (dup-200-65-89-222.prodigy.net.mx) on jueves, enero 30, 2003 at 09:33:36 :

In Reply to: Re: Zih. Int'l. Tournament posted by Dorado1 from 148.223.244.18 (148-223-244-18.cdnet.com.mx) on martes, enero 28, 2003 at 23:22:26 :

I have to differ with you here on results. Hundreds of fish were needlessly killed for sport. There is no way you are going to convince me that this is good for our local fishing industry, the captains, whoever received the fish, or tourism. This is a travesty to everything we have been trying to do over the past decade to promote Catch & Release fishing.

Paul, I am VERY surprised at you having any involvement with such a tournament as it only makes you look like a hypocrite after all the preaching you've done over the years about the importance of Catch & Release fishing. Yes, I know it put some money into your pocket as well as the pockets of a few captains. Greed is no excuse for the massive slaughter that took place.

The only other such tournament we have is scheduled during a time of year when billfish are nowhere near as plentiful, guaranteeing at least a chance that the fish population will not be severely affected. But this recent tournament appears to have been purposely scheduled to coincide with the presence of large populations of billfish. We can only hope the damage to their population is not irreparable.

I will no longer permit my website or this message board to be used to promote such senseless slaughter of innocent wildlife for sport or for profit, and I will do whatever I can to try to have tournaments such as the recent one cancelled and/or boycotted.

I hope you will respect my wishes on this and cease using my message board to promote any "kill tournaments".

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.