Re: A Fishing Story

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 148.235.160.137 (customer-148-235-160-137.uninet.net.mx) on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 12:26:19 :

In Reply to: Re: A Fishing Story posted by Harry from Detroit from 206.250.201.56 (pm7-7.ili.net) on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 10:50:56 :

An excellent lesson, and one to heed.

I also have been out fairly far and had the motor conk out. I was using a 15' Boston Whaler with a 90HP Yamaha outboard and had taken along a friend to go fishing.

Luckily (a very relative term here) there were some tools aboard. Yes, we had a radio, but nobody answered when we called so we decided to conserve the battery in case things got worse.

My pal knew diddley squat about motors. I myself had never tinkered with marine motors, but figured it couldn't be any more complicated than any of the cars I'd owned, so I tinkered.

I'd never seen a triple carburator before except on sports cars that I wouldn't attempt to repair. But bobbing around out in the ocean swells using a toolkit that was more like a set of kids toys I got that sucker apart, found a piece of grit in one of the fuel jets, put it back together and got it running. That was a lucky day.

Whenever I went out on my boat I planned for the worst, always taking more water than I would drink in a day, a fully charged portable marine radio, lifejacket, flares, lantern, a paddle, decent tools and a few other items. Better to have'em and not need'em than to need'em and not have'em!

BTW, you need to add two more fives after the seven for Ramón's phone number like this:

011 (international long distance from the US and Canada)
52 (the country code for Mexico)
755 (our area code)
554-4311 (Ramón's phone number)

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.