Re: trip report, part 1 of ??

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Gordon from 209.183.214.250 (fa.d6b7d1.client.atlantech.net) on lunes, enero 19, 2004 at 16:25:35 :

In Reply to: trip report, part 1 of ?? posted by debk from 152.163.252.168 (cache-rh08.proxy.aol.com) on miércoles, enero 14, 2004 at 20:16:20 :

Deb has hit the highlight of our trip. We spent 33 days in Zihua; been going for 15 years! Obviously we like it. But this experience topped all others.

We had noticed in previous years that the local schools could use supplies. Fredy taught pre-school for 27 years and I have taught at the university level for 40 years. We checked with Rob in October and found the need is still there. We brought all that we could carry. Some items we had in our home office and others we purchased.

Our trip with Lupita and Marianna was special. Marianna I believe is the principal of the school and is on the advisory board for eduaction in Zihua. The supplies, along with the backpacks that DebK and her husband brought were delivered to a school on the West side of the bay, in the hills. There were kindergarten through 6th grade classes.

The school is lacking for supplies but not for spirit. The children, while not dressed in the latest fashions were clean, polite, friendy, and laughed a lot. In each class they were asked who did not have a backpack. Those without either identified themselves or were identified by their classmates.

Classrooms received chalk, crayons, pencils, pens, rulers, scissors, paper, etc. Some was taken to the office to be distributed later.

This school, and others, need more. This school is starting a program where 16 students who live far from the locat1on can sleep over. They will be housed and fed from Monday to Friday. All students receive breakfast.

If you want to make a donation Lupita will take the items. They need more of the above plus toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, etc for those sleeping at school. (Next time you stop at a motel/hotel save the bathroom supplies and bring them to Zihua) Plus you can purchase larger size items at the Commercial and the new market in town.

Anything will be appreciated.
Gordon and Fredy

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.