heartbreaking

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.183.107 (dup-200-65-183-107.prodigy.net.mx) on martes, enero 20, 2004 at 09:22:02 :

In Reply to: Clear-cutting posted by Scott from 148.235.160.142 (customer-148-235-160-142.uninet.net.mx) on lunes, enero 19, 2004 at 20:59:22 :

It breaks my heart to see this type of development in an area where locals felt an ecological park should have been established. But it appears that Cerro El Vigía is doomed to development, and Las Gatas will soon follow.

Another tidbit I picked up on recently is that apparently the Secretaría de Turismo together with our local City Hall wants to make a walkway between Playa La Ropa and Playa Las Gatas similar to the one between la Playa Principal and Playa La Madera. Funny thing is that they appear not to have consulted any locals on this since everyone I've spoken to says the current path should remain just like it is since that is part of the local attraction (at least for the type of tourism we wish to see). The walk is just a tad difficult but not too, so the need for building a walkway there is not the same as there was for one between Playa La Madera and Playa Principal where there was no passable pathway previously.

This appears to be development for the sake of awarding a contract to a political "friend" and nothing to do with the needs of our community (we have way too many similar projects awarded in the name of political cronyism). And if necessary I've already encountered a large number of citizens ready to make as big a protest over this walkway as was made over Casa Que Canta's attempted destruction of el Pozo del Eslabón at Playa La Ropa (a natural pool at the beginning of the beach that CQC filled in with rocks to prevent less affluent Mexicans from marring the view of CQC's elite guests).

Maybe Carl Hiassen hit on the solution in his book "Tourist Season"? ;~)

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.