Re: The Griswald's Mexican Road Trip - Part 3

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Kathleen in CO desde 67.234.219.105 (1Cust105.tnt2.steamboat-springs.co.da.uu.net) el día domingo, 21 de marzo, 2004 a las 20:10:16 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: The Griswald's Mexican Road Trip - Part 3 escrito por Geenance desde 65.93.28.112 (London-HSE-ppp3546451.sympatico.ca) el día domingo, 21 de marzo, 2004 a las 19:20:04 horas :

LOVED your story! We just got back from a stay in Patzcuaro; we stayed in the Hotel Mansion Iturbe, across the plaza from your place. We also went to Paracho and bought our 16 year old son a guitar! That was a fun experience, as a gregarious local on a bicycle attached himself to us and ended up taking mi esposa and niño into back neighborhoods and into craftsmens' homes and attached workshops.

We were lucky enough to hit Patzcuaro during Fiesta. When we arrived, it was in full swing in the plaza and continued through our stay. One morning at 5:00 a.m. I awoke, not sure what had awoken me. Then I heard it again - it was definitely a brass band playing. I thought - my god, this never ends! I found out why a little later as tons of schoolchildren assembled in the plaza and marched the colors of their school while a school brass band played (very well!).

I went into the lobby of your hotel - it looked great. Ours was built in the 1500's and has been in the same family since the 1700's. And it had a hotel cat who took a liking to my husband (he attracts cats - I'm not kidding; they sense a kindred spirit, or something) and slept with us. First he crawled all over our bags, sniffing out our cats, then settled on our son's backpack (which our cats seem to love leaving their scent on) - I guess he was showing those gringo cats who's who. When we got home, they went crazy sniffing it. Kinda fun.

Did you love the drive to Paracho?!! There were Fiesta activities in almost every little town. We all said, "We could live here!"

By the way, we, too had trouble figuring out how to get back into our hotel late on our first night. By the second night, we had figured out that there was a buzzer, high up and hidden, that summoned the man who never slept - he also served our breakfast in the a.m.

I would love to go back. That is a beautiful part of Mexico. Thanks for the story - it was a GREAT read.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO